Gadsden Fire Department
COVID-19 Recommendations for the Public
The following recommendations are to assist the public in preventing the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in our community:
- Practice social distancing where possible (avoid large crowds).
- Wash your hands frequently for 20 seconds or longer.
- Avoid touching your face (eyes, nose, mouth)
- Stay 6 feet or greater from people who are sick.
- Cover mouth and nose when coughing/sneezing.
- Disinfect heavily touched objects (door handles, phones, etc..).
You are encouraged to call your doctor or the emergency room if you experience the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher
- Shortness of breath
- Have contact with someone with COVID-19 or travel to an area with community transmission of the virus
Call your doctor’s office or emergency room before visiting. They will offer guidance for your situation. Of course, in an emergency, do not hesitate to call 911. Gadsden 911 and Gadsden Fire Department are practicing enhanced screening of calls for flu like symptoms. Response times to non-emergency calls for flu like symptoms could take longer, and responders will arrive dressed in personal protective equipment (PPE). Please stay informed with your local media, information from the Gadsden/Etowah EMA, and other verified outlets.