Code Enforcement

The Building Department enforces code complaints involving abandoned vehicles, trash and debris in yards, abandoned houses, overgrown grass and weeds.

A nuisance as a legal term is a condition or use of a property that interferes with neighbors’ use or enjoyment of their property, endangers life, health or safety, or is offensive to others.  Because of the harm they do to others, Alabama law authorizes local governments to use their police powers to compel the owners of nuisance properties to correct those conditions. If the owner fails to do so, the City of Gadsden can step in and correct, or abate, the conditions itself. This process is known as nuisance abatement.

Gadsden City Code Chapter 86 lays out what nuisances City Officials address and the legal processes in place to protect property owners.

If you  have questions or concerns about Code Enforcement in the City of Gadsden Call the Building Department at 256-549-4765

Tall Grass or Weeds are a Neighborhood Nuisance

The City of Gadsden’s Public Works Department maintains the grounds of city-owned property but relies on its citizens to do their part and keep their individual private property presentable.

Of particular concern are private rights-of-way or easements and alleys. A right-of-way is the space between the sidewalk and the street, including any ditches, and is the responsibility of the property owner to mow and maintain. Property owners are also responsible for one-half of alleys (up to the center line) on their property. The City will not mow grass in these areas.

Grass or weeds measuring over 12 inches high is considered a nuisance: it attracts pests such as gnats and mice; it produces excessive pollen and aggravates allergies; it increases the risk of a severe fire if ignited by a loose flame, and it generally presents a poor image of the city.

Homeowners who neglect their lawns will be notified of the violation via first-class mail and asked to rectify the issue within a given time frame. If the individual(s) does not comply, the City of Gadsden Public Works Department will be brought in to cut the grass or weeds, and the individual will be charged a fee based on the labor and equipment required. If the fee is not paid, the city has the right to place a lien against the property.

Anyone who notices grass over 12 inches in his or her neighborhood should fill out the “Tall Grass/Weeds” form on the city’s website or contact: the Nuisance Abatement Inspector.