Duties and Responsibilities
The Animal Control Department of the Gadsden Police Department is responsible for:
- The welfare of domesticated animals within the Gadsden city limits
- The enforcement of Gadsden's Leash Law
- The removal of dead animals along our roadways
- The issuance of court citations for: animals running at-large, animal cruelty, and for owning a vicious animal without the proper permit
Animal Control is not responsible for responding to barking dog nuisance calls, as these problems fall under the city's Noise Ordinance. If you have a neighboring dog that is a barking nuisance, call Gadsden Police Dispatch at 256-549-4500. A police officer will be dispatched to handle the problem.
Hours and Contact Information
Animal Control is available seven days per week:
- Monday through Friday: 7:00am to 3:30pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 9:00am to 3:00pm
Gadsden's Leash Law states that both cats and dogs cannot run free. They should be contained by a fence, on a chain, or on a leash (or some other form of restraint).
A vicious animal is defined as: a Pitbull, a Pitbull mix, or a wolf hybrid.