The National Weather Service and the Alabama Emergency Management Agency have declared the week of Sunday, November 12th - Friday, November 17th, Winter Weather Awareness Week. Your GECEMA is participating in a four day Winter Weather Exercise that will end on Wednesday, November 15, 2017. Now is the time to ensure that you and your family are prepared for winter weather hazards that may affect Etowah County.
• Assemble emergency supply kits for your home and automobile.
• Have a way to receive emergency warnings.
• Winterize your vehicle.
• Avoid driving during winter weather events, if at all possible.
• Be sure that your house is well insulated.
• Insulate pipes and faucets to prevent them from freezing and bursting. Let faucets drip a little.
• Cut away tree branches that have the possibility of falling on your house due to ice
• Have an emergency heat source.
• If you use an electric space heater, make sure it turns off when tipped over, has a thermostat control, and at least three feet of clearance from any combustibles.
• PRACTICE FIRE SAFETY!
• Make sure pets have plenty of food, water, and proper shelter.
• Know the difference between the four types of winter precipitation.
• Be familiar with the winter weather criteria according the NWS in Birmingham
For information on building emergency supply kits and more winter weather preparedness tips, visithttp://www.weather.gov/bmx/outreach_wwaw2017 and see the GECEMA blog at http://www.gecema.com/blogDetail.php?id_blog=73
REMEMBER, your safety is up to YOU. Prepare NOW for winter weather hazards that could impact Etowah County this Winter and Spring.
Follow GECEMA on Facebook and Twitter, or call (256) 549-4575, for more information.