The City of Gadsden’s 2023 event calendar is filling up as the city has approved the sponsorship of more than seven fishing tournaments at Coosa Landing. The tournaments booked to date reflect up to 1,000 additional boats that will zip anglers across the Coosa River this spring and summer.
“Having the Coosa River running through downtown is a tremendous asset that most other cities don’t have,” said Mayor Craig Ford. “It’s important for recreation, tourism, and the local economy because we're drawing fishermen from around the country with these tournaments. When we showcase the Coosa, we showcase Gadsden. With this many tournaments already on the calendar, we are reminding the nation that Gadsden, Alabama, is the place to be if you enjoy quality outdoor recreation.”
So far, the following tournaments and dates have been announced for Coosa Landing:
• Coosa River Team Trail Series Tournament – Four tournaments between March and October 2023
• Fishers of Men Ministries, Inc. Classic Tournament – March 11, 2023
• Alabama Student Angler Bass Fishing Association Classic Qualifying Tournament – March 18, 2023
• American Bass Anglers, Inc. Open Series – March 25, 2023
• Alabama Bass Trail Tournament Series Divisional – April 15, 2023
• Alabama B.A.S.S. Nation High School Regional Qualifier – May 20, 2023
• Phoenix Bass Fishing League Bama Division Tournament – June 24, 2023
The Coosa River Team Trail series also assists the Gadsden Parks and Recreation Department in hosting the Super Bass Annual Tournament every year on the first Saturday in April. Coosa Landing is viewed as an excellent riverfront facility for hosting tournaments, which combines nicely with Gadsden's abundant natural resources for these events.
While Gadsden and Neely Henry Lake are home to top-tier bass fishing, they are also situated between Lake Guntersville and Weiss Lake, two other prominent fishing locations in the region. In 2021, Gadsden hosted a Bassmaster Elite Series tournament, a top-level event that brought 85 professional anglers from across the country and internationally.